jason
jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives
7489983

For the past few days my daughter has had a fever of 101.8 ...

Customer Question

For the past few days my daughter has had a fever of 101.8 and 101.5, she showed no signs of being sick like runny nose, coughing, wheezing, no diarrhea and vommiting, just a little tired and not wanting to eat or drink much! She isnt dehydrated becuase she is urinating and will drink her milk and eat oranges. What my concern is is that her fever is completly gone today and she woke up with a red rash on her neck trunk its not on the arms and legs or face, and it doesnt seem to be bother her, does she need emergent care any suggestions
Category: Health
Expert:  jason replied 9 years ago.

Hello Customer,

Quick questions before I go on. How old is she? Has she had all her shots? Has anyone around her been sick?

Let me know and I may have an answer,

Jason

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My daughter is 2 years old and no she has not had her shots only becuase its due to family and church beliefs! No one around her has been sick, could it be from stress too cause we just got back into town from an 8 day trip?   I was also reading about it could possibly be roseola
Expert:  jason replied 9 years ago.

Hi Customer,

You have made an astute observation what you are describing does sound very much like roseola. As a matter of fact that is where I was heading with my questions and thoughts.

The best thing you can do is to continue to treat her with ibuprofen/motrin and monitor the fevers. If she has a fever over 102 then that won't come down after treatment then you need to take her to the ER as she can be at risk for febrile seizures.

If I have answered your question let me know by clicking Accept. If you still need help let me know.

Jason

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Okay one more question, at what point do i need to worry, i mean she has small dots on her face now from the rash, but she seems to be feeling great, and how long does roseola last for?
Expert:  jason replied 9 years ago.

Hey Customer,

If it indeed is roseola the rash shouldn't last more than 3 days. The only other concern I have is the rash on the face. Roseola isn't known for that. If she develops a cough or vision problems she may have the measles. I really doubt that is the case though. I think simple watching will work for the next two days. Continue to treat her fever, if it is there and a mothers love should work.

If I have answered your question let me know by clicking accept. If you still need help let me know.

Jason