Andy R
Andy R, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy with 30 years of hospital experience, nursing school faculty

I have astepdaughter who for many yrs has been diagnosised ...

I have astepdaughter who for many yrs has been diagnosised as havinh biopolar and now has been diagnosed as also being psychophrenic. How does this interplay with the biopolar and would she be a danger to herself and others. I live in Ma. and she lives in S.C. she is presently in a hospital be evaluated as she went off the deep end yesterday.
Category: Health
Expert:  Andy R replied 8 years ago.

Bipolar disease and schizophrenia are two separate illnesses that may be intermingled into one patient. The patients aren't necessarily a danger to themselves and others but that depends on their pathology and how the symptoms of the illness presents.

With these illnesses, it is critical that she maintain her medication regimen and take them as prescribed.

• Please review these websites for further information.