JE Sramek MD
JE Sramek MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Specializing in Pathology, I excel at making test results and cancer understandable.

Hello I have a spotty red rash on different parts of ...

Customer Question

Hello I have a spotty red rash on different parts of my body but they do not itch. The rash looks like those little red bumps you get from straining when people vomit alot but I haven''t vomitted.
Category: Health
Expert:  JE Sramek MD replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I just have a few questions to clarify: Are you having any other symptoms (fever, stomach ache, etc)? Are you otherwise healthy? Do you take any medications? Do the spots blanch (meaning do they fade/go away when you press on them then reappear when you release)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No fever no stomach ache no other symptoms. I am not taking any medications. The spots are on the inner part of my legs and the inner part of my fold of my arms and on the sides of my stomach and a little bloch on the right side of my right breast. But no itching. Some of the rash has faded but not in the breast area.
My main concern with your history is a low platelet count. Platelets are one of the factors which clots blood and having too few platelets can cause "petechiae" which is a rash caused by tiny bleeds in the skin. This is similar to what you described with vomiting, except the problem in that case is increased pressure causing small bleeds as opposed to low platelets. Petechial rashes are pinhead-sized, flat red-to-brown spots which do not fade if pressed on (whereas rashes of most other causes will fade if pressed on). Petechiae are usually found on the legs or ankles, but not on the palms or soles. The spots can also appear on the inside of your mouth. If you experience easy bruising, nose bleeds, or bleeding gums, that would be more worrisome for low platelets. Other possibilities would be inflammation of blood vessels (vasculitis) or viral infections (though those rashes fade when you press on the skin). Although it is very difficult to make the diagnosis via a computer, if your rash fits this description, I would recommend going to urgent care to be evaluated. The main concern is the risk of bleeding if the platelets are very low. I hope this information is helpful and please let me know if you have further questions or need clarification.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to JE Sramek MD's Post: Could this also be due to an allergic reaction to food or a change in diet. In the last few days I have had a lot of raw oysters, raw mushrooms and 100% pomegrante juice which are things that I do not have on a regular basis. Just a thought. I also have about 4 mosquito stings and thought this could have been the cause.

Rashes can certainly be due to allergies, but are usually associated with significant itching. And there are reports of petechial-like rashes due to certain types of mushrooms (especially shittake mushrooms), but I'm still concerned about your platelet count and think that it should be evaluated.