Judy
Judy, Nurse
Experience:  RN in ICU for 35 years
803120

My doctor told me I might have an abcess in my lung. what ...

My doctor told me I might have an abcess in my lung. what dose that mean and how do they treat it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Judy replied 8 years ago.
An abscess is an area of infection that has walled itself off, so that the antibiotics are likely not getting to the area. It is common that they will try antibiotics for a time to see if there is resolution of the infection. If it hasn't worked, they could insert a catheter into the area to drain it - this would be done under x-ray guidance (fluoroscopy or CAT scan). If that is unsuccessful, you could need a thoracotomy - surgical opening into the chest to get to the lung and to excise the area that is infected. Here is a bit more info about a thoracotomy.