Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

my left lower leg and foot and ankle have been swelling up ...

Customer Question

my left lower leg and foot and ankle have been swelling up over the last week or so to the point where it is very noticeable when looking at both feet I noww feel small pain spikes deep inside my ankle what could be causing this??
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.

Is the swollen leg warmer than the other? What about skin color changes?

Any history of bites?

How is the rest of your health?

What have you been doing over last few weeks?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: same temp, no skin changes
no bites or history of...
6ft tall and currently 150.00 kg apart from this rest of health is a1.
Last few weeks sitting in office chair working on computer.
Expert:  Pauline replied 8 years ago.
If only one leg is affected then we tend to think of cellulitis (infection) however there is no evidence of that, therefore the other possible cause that needs to be ruled out is a deep vein thrombosis, the recent sedentary history could make that a possibility and you need a Doppler ultrasound to rule that out.

When both legs are affected there are a variety of reasons for swollen ankles and feet including high blood pressure, cardiovascular problems, circulation problem, kidney problem and something putting pressure on a major vein (the Inferior vena cava)

Transient swelling could be related to prolonged immobility causing calf muscles failing to pump fluid back into the circulation. Other causes include varicose veins, side-effects of some drugs and being overweight.

A mild diuretic would be the first action, together with compression hosiery.

Keep your legs elevated at a high angle when you can to encourage drainage and if you have a sedentary job ensure that you get up and move around every hour.

Avoid caffeine drinks, but do continue to drink water. Reduce your salt intake too.

So you need to see your doctor as soon as you can, any change in color or temperature in the leg/foot , or shortness of breath then go directly to ER.