Lani, BSN, RN
Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience:  A Registered Nurse for 19 years.

My wife has psychiatric problems ioncluding a phobia ...

Customer Question

My wife has psychiatric problems ioncluding a phobia about going outdoors. Although I''m not a physician, medicine is an area that I know quite a lot about. However, I need help in treating an eye problem she has. The eye itself looks fine, no redness or abmormalities of the eye proper. However, one eye itches considerably and she blinks very often. A layer of encrusted material built up on the lower eyelid. I was able to remove it with a wet q-tip. Please advise on the next step.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lani, BSN, RN replied 8 years ago.

Hello Imilgram,

The eye symptoms of your wife is most likely a kind of viral or bacterial infection. the best advise is to have it seen by a doctor. However, if going to the doctor is extremely difficult wash the eye with a cool water and keep it clean. Try the use of an eyedrop 2-3 drops every 4 hours. You may use erythromycin ophthalmic ointment twice a day (though not so good idea as we do not know if the cause of infection is bacteria). If no noticeable improvement after 2-3 days, then you have no other choice but you need to have the doctor see it.

For proper use of eye drops and ointments, this link will be helpful:

Take care and Happy New Year!