jason
jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives

My husband passed away a little under a year ago.

Customer Question

My husband passed away a little under a year ago. I''ve stopped exercising, socializing and I don''t work outside the home. I''ve noticed my mental fortitude, physical condition and health have spiraled downhill rapidly. I''m overwhelmed with how to pull myself back together. Any suggestions on how or what I should do to start my climb out of this pit?
Category: Health
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Well you have made the right step by asking here. A few quick questions and I can help.

Do you have any medical problems? Are you on any medicines? Do you have any kids/other family?

Let me know and we can work through this.

Jason

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jason,

Thank you for responding to my question. My children are grown: One son moved in with me after my husband passed away, another son lives about 30 minutes with his wife and new baby and my daughter lives across the country. No, I am not on any medication. However, I feel that my lack of taking care of myself is setting me up for some health issues.
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

Hello againCustomer

I'm glad to help. What you are describing to me is appropriate situational depression. What you have gone through must be very hard and I wish I could give the magic answer. Unfortunately there is no quick fix. I would suggest the following: See your doctor about a short term prescription for depression. This can help you get your life back together. The other thing I would advise is seek out a local support group. I know you can do this because you have already taken the first step by asking here.

If I have answered your question let me know by clicking Accept. If you still need help let me know.

Jason

jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question. You're right I'm very depressed. I appreciate your advice. From what I have read, medication for depression is addictive and tough on the liver and difficult to get off of. Is there something you could recommend that's gentler on the body? I would like to start with something not quite as aggressive -- if necessary, of course I'll take the medication.

Thank you,
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

A natural alternative is St. John's Wort, you can by it at any local pharmacy and many people feel it helps as much as prescription medicines.

I also wouldn't worry to much about being addicted to depression meds. They don't usually work like that.

As with any medicine anti-depressants can be tought on your liver. That is why it is important to have blood work at least every 6 months.

jason

jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Just having you respond so quickly, efficiently, and with understanding makes me feel like I really can climb out of this pit.
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

I have faith in you. You are the one doing the work and making the progress. I'm just here to let you know you are doing the right thing.

jason