Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

common among all the auto imuune diseases that come with it, is Mult

I have Common Varible Immune deficieny. How common among all the auto imuune diseases that come with it, is Mult. Sclerosis?

Greetings.

Common variable immunodeficiency is the most prevalent of the primary immunodeficiency diseases.

It is characterized by impaired antibody responses. Diagnosis is based on exclusion of known causes of humoral immune system defects.

The common immunologic defect in patients with this disease is defective antibody formation. The basic and common immunologic defect in it, is a failure of B-lymphocyte differentiation into plasma cells that produce the various immunoglobulin isotypes.

It is not related to multiple sclerosis.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I knew most of above-thank you:) But I didnt put in there that I have vasculitis of some type, but all testing I have gotten so far except for 3 things show: The some type of vasculitis, puffy head, hands-and worst of all is eyes and head. All of c-spine and down to t-4 are unexplaibly with no nucleas-thus a lot of refered pain. All excepet for the eye pain 24/7...no light. or reading extreme pain... etc..is all genetic sincle birth (and I have a 6 year old girl with 50/50 chance of having the spine deal and cvid). The eyes my mom is a RN for 40 plus years, and even though Ive been tested 2 times since birth for MS to explain the rapidness of pain symptoms etc-she has been looking up it as yet another auto immune process that just wont show enough to "diagnoss" ...yet. Follow? I have a new opthal. who took dye inhanced a week ago and said for sure I have low tension glucoma-and the CT of my eyes was a comment of the dye not being able to enhance behind the optic nerve due to "inflamation". So, since docs now out of town and my mom and I know with 40 some specialists-and been doing this for 28 years-that with this acute amount of pain...extremly stressful. I also have been recieving IVIG infusins since 15 years of age every three weeks and wonder if that as well as just any input into the eye CT....could any of these be any kind of MS-apprently people around me are kind of looking at that too-but Im skeptical.
Feedback...thank you-

Greetings.

Very difficult to say about MS, as we have been trained to keep a single diagnosis unless things are very diverse and are unexplainable on the basis of solitary causative. I would think of mild grade infection and look for it.

Vasculitis is again a diagnosis which will have basis of auto immunity or wavered immunity. Inadequate immune response or altered immune responses can be explanation and probably your eyes symptoms may be responsible because of it. Still, I accept that it is a difficult situation, not only by the view point of diagnosis but for management as a whole.

Dr. Arun