Ask Your Health Question and Get an Answer ASAP
What you have is an irritation of the throat due to the flu. The throat tissues produce mucus as a protective measure. If you do not drink enough water, the mucus tends to get hard and sticky making it difficult to cough up.
Please take the following steps for relief:
- Gargle with hot, saline water - mix 2 teaspoonfuls of salt in 1 glass of hot water and gargle thrice daily.
- Steam inhalation - Take a bowl of hot water, and put 2 tsf of salt in it. You can also put menthol in it if you have some. Inhale the steam that rises from the water. You can put a towel over the head as you inhale for quicker relief.
- Drink a glass of warm lemon juice daily. Squeeze a wedge of lemon in a glass of warm water and mix 1 pinch of salt and 1 tablespoonful of sugar for taste. You can increase the amount of water if you find the lemon too sour to taste
- You can suck on hard sweets - the saliva trickling down the throat will be soothing. .
- Take Motrin tablets (500mg twice daily for 5 days).
- Improve your immunity by taking a multivitamin multimineral supplement. A tablet of Vitamin C 500mg will help to build up your resistance to infections. Vitamin C is known to be a potent agent against respiratory infections.
- Drink at least 8 - 10 glasses of water daily. Dehydration causes the mucus to become hard and dry leaving you prone to more ifections.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.