Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

In October 07 My 58 year old husband had a partial

Customer Question

In October ''07 My 58 year old husband had a partial penectomy with penile reconstruction.Surgeon at the time said the Squamous cell cancer was totally removed at surgery.One month later a PET-CT was done with negative results.The next day my husband had a bilateral inguinal node dissection -- radical on left,simple on right. Left side was found to have 1 positive malignant node,right side clear.My question is: Does the negative cell finding during penectomy mean he was in remission after surgery?And the positive lymph node one month later mean he has metastasis? Of 27 nodes removed,only one was positive.Now-does that mean he is in a second remission?I am not clear as to where we stand regarding the remission status-is this a 2nd remission now?How many remissions can a person have? He will be having CT scans every 2-3 months for next 2 years.He remains very fatigued and is having quite a bit of leg nerve disturbance and mild lymphedema.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

It is not considered a second remission (as a matter of fact we don't use this kind of term). Partial penectomy and lymph node dissection in one month duration is considered as primary disease management. The solitary positive inguinal lymph node might have been there at the time of penectomy, as it was the source to give the cancer cells to the lymph node. Since only one out of 29 lymph nodes was positive, it is considered as very good prognostic sign and shows complete tumor eradication/elimination at this point of time.

Please feel free to ask, if you have questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Smile Thank you so much for the speedy informative response! I really feel it was a dumb question,but I am overwhelmed at so much that has happened to him in such a short time..I can barely concentrate. Now maybe I will be able to sleep at night once more!

You are welcome.

Kindest regards.

Wishing you a happy, fun-filled, prosperous and peaceful 2008.

Dr. Arun