Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

left with a very anoying mucus build

Customer Question

Hi. Ive just had several days of bad flu/fever which seem to have passed now. I am left with a very anoying mucus build up. I have taken expectorant medicen which coughs up some phlem.. but it almost feels like something is stuck in wind pipe. When I breath in it feels clear - when I breath out I can feel it going past all the mucus. How would you suggest I try and clear that build up?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Continue taking the expectorant. Drink alot of fluids, including hot drinks and soup, as this will also help to loosen the mucous and open your breathing passages. Try doing steam inhalation treatments. Run hot shower so room fills with steam and breathe deeply, and this should help you expectorate and clear some of the mucous. You can also breathe deeply over a pot of boiled water for the same effect.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: Hi,
Thanks for your reply,
I also have another weird sensation in that it feels like there is something stuck in my throat when im sure there is not. As much as I coughh.. it seems to come up .. but will not cough up. any ideas?