Andrea
Andrea, Nurse
Experience:  16 years experience-diabetes, asthma, neurology, rehab, long term care, and disease management.
7533145

left side of my back is rounded with hard knots mass

Customer Question

the lft side of my back is rounded with hard knots mass. therp. cant move it. higher shoulder on left. wont relax. 2 cervical operations the last one added a steel plate. had hundreds (yes) of shots in back, neck and shoulders
Category: Health
Expert:  Andrea replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JA!

This sounds like the muscles are remaining tight to stabalize the back, shoulders and neck. Contact your doctor for a muscle relaxor and a referral to physical therapy. PT will help you regain muscle strength and flexiblility and even out the strain on each muscle -making them all start and work together again.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As I said in the "what have you tried " column, I have had deep muscle massage for years and most probably- way too many shots. Your :". dditional Info" would not respond for me. I tried it in order to also tell you that the left shoulder is way higher than the rt. A visiting therapist had me stand bare-foot with my back to her and noted this fact. At first she thought it was maybe because of my rt. knee prosthesis but decided not- the rt. leg is only 1/4 " shorter and I have a heel pad for that. Im talking about some type hard tissue that does not respond to massage efforts by the professionals. Pat
Expert:  Andrea replied 8 years ago.
I am aware that you have had massages in the past. However if you are having instability in your neck, shoulder and back the largest muscle in the area is being used to stabalize that area and the muscle will become inflexible and stiff. You need to get with a physical therapist that can improve the muscle strength of the other muscles around this large muscle and help take the strain off the large muscle and it will begin to relax. the change in the height of your shoulder is due to the muscle on one side being constantly tight this will pull the shoulder higher. This is probably going to be an ongoing problem due to the structural problems you have with the neck and back. I am sorry that you misunderstood what I was trying to tell you earlier - it was as clear as mud. I apologize to you and I hope this clarifies things for you.