jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives

My Grandma has been in and out of the hospital for about 10 ...

My Grandma has been in and out of the hospital for about 10 Years, she has Atrial Fibrillation. They Just diagnosed her as being borderline Diabetes, she also has high Blood-pressure, C.O.P.D, infizema. She hasn't has any surgery. Now they want to do what they call a mini-maze surgery, it doesn't seem very safe considering out of the 112 People that have done that procedure 23 either died or had serious complications. To the best of my Knowledge this has only been done in 10 locations in the U.S. is there other things she should consider before she signs the papers to have this done? If so what should she ask her Doctor or the Doctor thats treating her now while she is in the Hospital?
Category: Health
Expert:  jason replied 8 years ago.

To be honest I am not at all a fan of the mini-maze procedure. The slightest mistake or miscalculation can make things so much worse than they are. I would suggest that instead she as about focal ablation. It is lot easier and recovery is faster. Some places here in oklahoma actually do it as an outpatient procedure.

If I have answered your question let me know by clicking accept. If you still need help let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what id focal ablation? what websight can i find that information?
Expert:  jason replied 8 years ago.

Focal ablation is where they go in and only zap the parts that are causing the A Fib.

Are two places you can read about it at. It is often done relatively quickly and easily and I have been quite impressed with the results in several patients.

If you need anything else let me know, otherwise please click Accept so that I may get credit for my work.