Andy R
Andy R, Pharm.D.
Experience:  Doctor of Pharmacy with 30 years of hospital experience, nursing school faculty

can claritin help my asthma symptoms at all i think my ...

can claritin help my asthma symptoms at all? i think my asthma here at my parents dusty house is party triggered all the dust and mold and the like
Category: Health
Expert:  Andy R replied 8 years ago.

There is nothing over the counter compareable to Advair. The Claritin should help with the allergies and hopefully help prevent asthma symptoms. Be sure to drink lots of fluids.

If you can get to an open pharmacy, they can call your doctor and get a prescription for the Advair. If you can't get the Advair and feel wheezy you can use your albuterol regularly instead of just rescue.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
second opinion please. I understand that Advair is not usable for acute symptoms??
Expert:  Andy R replied 8 years ago.
That is correct, but if you are using Advair you should continue since it gives you a degree of prophylaxis. The albuterol is indicated for acute symptoms.

Albuterol and salbuterol are closely related and you can use the albuterol as a regular scheduled inhaler if needed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so if the pharmacy is not open but i get to a place with a lot of drugs like the open supermarket which has a drug counter, what should I buy?? If anythin g?
Expert:  Andy R replied 8 years ago.
Based on your information about your folks house, only Claritin (loratadine). there are epinephrine inhalers available over the counter but they are dangerous to use. You are much better off with your albuterol.