Ask Your Health Question and Get an Answer ASAP
Do you have any pain when you breathe deeply?
Does breathing deeply make you cough?
I do not think you have bronchitis.
What you have is a an irritation and a low grade infection of the throat and nasal mucus membrane. An active infection would have caused yellowish or greenish drainage.
I suspect that the ciggarette smoke caused the irritation which made the tissues susceptible to infection. The normal reaction of the throat and nose tissues to irritation is to produce mucus as a protective measure - this is what you are coughing up.
To decrease the infection, please take the following steps at home:
- Gargle with hot, saline water - mix 2 teaspoonfuls of salt in 1 glass of hot water and gargle thrice daily.
- Steam inhalation - Take a bowl of hot water, and put 2 tsf of salt in it. You can also put menthol in it if you have some. Inhale the steam that rises from the water. You can put a towel over the head as you inhale for quicker relief.
- Drink a glass of warm lemon juice daily. Squeeze a wedge of lemon in a glass of warm water and mix 1 pinch of salt and 1 tablespoonful of sugar for taste. You can increase the amount of water if you find the lemon too sour to taste
- You can suck on hard sweets - the saliva trickling down the throat will be soothing.
- Take Motrin tablets (500mg twice daily for 5 days).
- Improve your immunity by taking a multivitamin multimineral supplement. A tablet of Vitamin C 500mg will help to build up your resistance to infections.
- Drink at least 8 - 10 glasses of water daily. This will help to rehydrate the tissues of the throat and keep them healthy.
- If you do not feel better in 2 weeks, please consult a doctor.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.