PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic

my pneumonia wont go away 3 weeks and not

Customer Question

my pneumonia won''t go away 3 weeks and not responding to treatment what should I do???
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 8 years ago.
I can relate...pneumonia can be a stubborn thing. Have you gone back to see your doc, and to tell him the treatment doesn't seem to be helping? Have you been trying to work through all this? Rest and lots of fluids (water, juice, tea, etc) are important here. Also it is important to bring up the secretions and get them out of the lungs. The fluids help to thin them out so you can cough them up, and you can buy expectorants over the counter, like anything with guiafenesein in it. Maybe you need a different antibiotic as well. Diet is important, too....don't try dieting plenty of good fats, like olive oil or nuts, to help heal the mucous membrane. Some daily vitamins would help as well. If you smoke, try to quit. I hope you feel better soon.