Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

My period is about 2 weeks late, I had a pink discharge ...

Customer Question

My period is about 2 weeks late, I had a pink discharge about 2 weeks ago, my breasts are very tender, my lower back hurts but I had a negative HPT about 2 days ago. Whats the deal?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.
Customer

It's possible that pregnancy has occurred and what you experienced was implantation bleeding. Implantation bleeding occurs a bit earlier than expected, and it is scanty, spotty, pinkish and not red and heavy like a period, and does not follow the normal pattern of a period (light to heavy to light). If this is the case your best bet is to wait at least two weeks after a missed period, and see your doctor for a blood pregnancy test as this is the most accurate way of testing. Other reasons for period abnormalities include stress, weight gain/loss, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, infection, illness, medications, polyp, cyst, amongst other reasons. If the blood pregnancy test comes back negative, your doctor can do further testing to determine the exact cause.