Lani, BSN, RN
Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience:  A Registered Nurse for 19 years.
7581006

I have some dry itchy white spots on my neck

When i went to my barber shop today my barber told me that their are some more white spots on the back of my head and told me i need to go and buy some type of ointment because if i dont it will spread all over my skin and he will no longer give me hair cuts what should i do?Pluss like i said in the question i also have some on my neck but they itch and i think i got it from shaving
Category: Health
Expert:  Lani, BSN, RN replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Can you give a further description of those white spots?
-Are the spots getting wider?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lani, BSN,RN's Post: Yes their geting wider around my neck espechialy the one on the back of my neck its white and the front of my neck they are spots and hair does not grow on them and they only itch when i shave my neck

The one in the back of my neck is like a big line and the front are kind of spotish but not that maney and if u need some more info let me know

HelloCustomer

Per your description, those spots are most likely a fungal infection most common at ages 15-24 years old called TINEA FLAVA or also called TINEA VERSICOLOR. It can be easily treated with antifungals like Selenium sulfide lotion or Ketoconazole.

You can find more information here: http://www.emedicine.com/derm/TOPIC423.HTM

Confirming it by seeing a doctor of course will be the best advise.

Happy New Year!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lani, BSN,RN's Post: Is their a way where u can get me a perscription for those medications

You can buy NIZORAL either dandruff shampoo or ointment that contains KETOCONAZOLE 2%, that is available in some pharmacy over the counter or in some grocery stores. Apply to the affected skin daily for 2 weeks (if using the shampoo wash off after 10 minutes).

If no improvemenet, then you will need the prescription medicine such as KETOCONAZOLE tablet.

( Experiencewise, the use of SALICYLIC ACID solution (over the counter too) is very effective. Moist a cotton with it and rub gently on the skin twice daily. It gives burning sensation, but in one week time it will start to peel off and it is cured. WARNING:It is at your own risk if you want to give a try but I had proven its efficacy several times without any apparent side effect.)

Happy New Year!

Lani, BSN, RN, Nurse
Experience: A Registered Nurse for 19 years.