jason
jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives
7489983

Hip locks up

Customer Question

When I sit down on a chair or sofa and lean forward (resting elbows on knees) or when crouching down, my hips will "lock up" and I have to get up very slowly and straighten one side at a time, and it''ll hurt when I walk for atleast 10 minutes after. it does not hurt to touch before, while or after pain has occured.

The pain seems to be focused on the front inside of the hip
Category: Health
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

Quick question and we may able to do something about this.

How old are you? How long has this been going on? Have you had anything like this in the past? Do you have any problems when you first wake up?

Let me know and I will try and help.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm 29, and have had this since I was around 12 years old.

In the mornings I have no problems.

The first time I can remember it happening, I was crouching down (resting my chin on my knees) and when I got up, not expecting any pain, and straightened the hip It hurt so bad that the leg recoiled and dropped me to the ground :)

Now I have learned to always get up slowly and test if the pain will be there, as in 10% of the time I might get lucky. if the pain is there and I have to get up slowly to straighten it, I will have to take short steps as it hurts too much when I move the leg forward.

Also, if I straighten it while sitting down and then try to lift my leg while still sitting down, I am unable to lift the leg even a millimeter, as pain will cover the whole area with the slightest movement of the muscle on the front of the hip.

it does not hurt to touch or put pressure on it, yesterday after getting up and having pain, I sat down with my back against the wall and legs straight forward and had my gf push it to the side to see if it would hurt, I was relaxed when she moved it and there was no pain until I tried to move it back.

It happens with both hips, but more often in the left side. For a few years my right knee would have a slowly increasing pain when I was driving and it would hurt to "loosen" it up afterwards, but I have not had that in atleast three years, but they do sound like they are full of sand when I do knee bends :)

Thanks for your swift reply, I've seen three doctors here in Norway and have had x-ray of the hip and they have found nothing, nor done any followup testing.
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

HeyCustomerWhat you are describing sounds as though your left hip is rotated forward. Thisisn't really something they woudl see on teh x-ray but a good osteopath or chiropractor should be able to put it back.

I suggest a stretching exercise of place the leg on a stool at about knee height and and pressing down for 15 seconds. Do this 3-4 times a day and see if it helps.

If the problems persist down the road then I would be worried about ankylosing spondylitis. If you ever have a change in your vision where things stay blurry bring this up to a doctor as it is an autoimmune disorder to address.

If I have answered your question let me know by clicking accept. If you still need help let me know.

Jason

jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Most sensible answer I've gotten, thanks a bunch :)

Have a happy new Year

-Kim
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

Same to you, glad to help. If you need anything PM me.

Jason