Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi May I please find out, I am 43 year and weighs about 115 ...

Customer Question

Hi May I please find out, I am 43 year and weighs about 115 kg I have a terrible heel pains, what is the cause and what can I take to stop this pain.I work in hotel ,spend at least 13 hours daily on my feet 7 days a week
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Is the pain maximum early morning and when you get up after some rest?

Have you taken any treatment?

Are you diabetic?

Are you on any medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not diabetic and not on any medication other than taking pain killing tablets which are mybelin for the same problem.Its not in the morning. I feel it every time I have been sitting down and have to stand up and walk.It is very painfull .
Thank You

Greetings.

Too much stress on the heel bone can cause injury to fascia, bones and ligaments of heel. Being over weight can cause tendinitis, bursitis or fasciitis, which is inflammation of the tissue around the bone. Treatments of these problems entail rest, anti-inflammatory analgesic medicines, physical therapy, orthosis and special shoes.

Read here;

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00159

One of the commonest cause of heel pain is plantar fasciitis. Apart from the general measures, I have mentioned, it may require steroid shots in the heel for the management. Read about the details here:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/physical/injuries/140.printerview.html

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was hoping that Dr Arun will suggest something that I can go buy at my local chemist to relieve the pain ?
Thank You

You can do the following measures;

Motrin 400 mg thrice a day.

Contrast bath: alternate hot and cold bath of foot in two buckets for one minute each for total 5-7 minutes.

Avoid being on your feet for continuously for more than 30 minutes. Sit for 5 minutes in between.

Raise your shoe heel by 2 cms.

Local analgesic spray.

Reduction in weight would help in long term management. So do the learning of exercises by physical therapist.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have pain on my heel on both legs.Every time I have been sitting down and have to stand up ,my heels get very painfull when I try to walk.The pain comes from the very tip of both heels and turn at the bottom of the heel going towards the inside of both the bottom of my feet.I am flat footed,the muscle connecting to the heel get dull or as if it does not want to work when I am begining to work , this is also the case when I have been standing foe a while.I weight 114kg and currently working on my weight, I was 125kg and I am not diabetic.

Thank You
Stephen

Stephan,

The heel pain you have seems to be because of condition called as plantar fasciitis. Since you have already tried Ibuprofen (Motrin), you will have to take some prescription anti-inflammatory analgesics. Steroid shots in the heels can also be tried by your doctor. Foot arch in shoes are available as OTC products which helps in overcoming the pain and management of abnormal strains on foot because of flat foot. Physical therapy and deep therapy (electrotherapy done in physiotherapy clinics) like iontophoresis, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, paraffin wax bath etc also help in managing pain.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Dr Arun
>
> Thank you kindly for the answer
>
> I obviously need to go to the doctor about this problem, I am trying
> very hard to loose weight , I am partially seeing the benefits of
> weight loss as I feel a bit lighter and the pressure is slightly
> lifting off. I am by birth a big person; it is very difficult to lose
> extremely. What is also interesting to know is that I have never eaten
> any kind of meat from birth and I get a lot of carbohydrates as a
> supplement. Thank You Kindly for all of this, I will take your
> suggestions to my local doctor and will revert back to you as to the results.
>
>
>
> I was not doubting your qualification, I think I expected a lot that
> will help me alleviate the pain, please don't bank that one against
> me, it was an honest cry for help
>
> So long Doc, will revert back to you with the results.
>
>
>
> Thank You Kindly
>
> Stephen Mbele

Dear XXXXX Mbele,

There are few things which definitely after a particular stage is managed by a physician. Then there is a limitation of online consultation. With a flat foot, reducing weight will help you in long term. It can be a bit difficult because of your built but with your determination, I think you will be able to do it.

Please keep in touch.

Kindest regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dear Dr Arun
I did manage to go to my local doctor and he told me that the major cause of pain in my feet were work related and had to choose to continue working for long hours or reduce my hours and give my feet some rest.I fully agreed to what he said and have choosen to give my feet a rest than being dependant on tables.He confirmed what you said about my weight , he said I was slightly overweight and recommended weight loss and he gave me "Diclohexal 50T mg, to take thrice a day,stilpane thrice a day,trepiline 25mg once every evening and reparil gel to rub daily. This has relieved much of my pain in the last two days and my feet are very relaxed.I am now greatly aware of food I eat, shoes I put and that I need to relax more often and am using very comfortable shoes when at work. Thank You Kindly for your support and being along my side all the way.Stephen Mbele

Nice to hear from you. Keep it up.

You are welcome.

Dr. Arun