Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
6079351

I have a lump near my private area. It is about

I have a "lump" near my private area. It is about one inch away from my "private area" it has been there for 3 weeks, I check it every few days, it is still there. Should I be concern?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 6 years ago.

Greetings Zena,

Since you are online, can you give me some additional information?

1) Where exactly is the lump? Is in the inguinal/groin area near the crease of the leg?

2) What is you medical history?

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr.Bernon's Post: 1. Yes groin area near the crease of my leg yes. Where my "private area" is, about one inch away from my "private area".

2. Medical History, only problem I have is High Cholestrol. My period has been off for many years. 2003 was the last time I had it. Then just got it Oct 2007 for 8 days. That's it.
Expert:  Dr.Bernon replied 6 years ago.
Greetings Zena,

What you are describing is likely a lymph node from one of the several lymph node groups in the upper thigh/inguinal crease. These can occasionally increase in size... sometimes for reasons that are more or less clear.

The "red flag" warning signs that this is not just an ordinary swollen lymph node include: unexplained weight loss, night sweats, fevers, rash, fatigue, shortness of breath, chest pain, itchiness of the skin and large size (more than three quarters of an inch). It is good that you are seeing a general surgeon since only a trained medical professional has enough experience to palpate the lump and decide the course of action.

If it is not a lymphnode, it may be a lipoma or cyst, both of which are not worrisome.

Sincerely,

Dr.Bernon
Dr.Bernon, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Internal Medicine and Pediatrics