Theresa, Medical Intern
Experience:  Currently a student in Medical School to obtain my MD in General Medicine

How dangerous is Lyrica

I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia - I''m 62, have lost my mobility, can barely attend to my personal needs. I no longer work. I take hydrocodone for pain, but it hasn''t worked; my pain and fatigue levels continue to increase. I read on Pfizer''s site 2600+ reports on Lyrica included 58 deaths. Can you identify any side effects that would possibly be fatal? My doctor prescribed Lyrica, 50 mg in the p.m. for a week; just raised it to 50 mg a.m. and p.m. Lyrica works great!! I can sleep through the night for the first time in 3-4 years. I was pain-free for the first 3 days I took it, then the fibromyalgia pains began to creep back upon me a few hours before my evening dose of Lyrica. Only side effect so far is dry mouth. Other health conditions include obesity, 2 heart caths w/3 stents, controlled mild hypertension, generalized anxiety, gastric bypass, hysterectomy. Meds: Clonazepam, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Plavix, Aspirin, hydrochlorthiazide, Pepcid, Vitamins.

Hello KC:

The recommended starting dose for Lyrica is 150mg daily that can be increased to a maximum of 600 mg daily if the need is present. You are currently taking 50mg in the morning and 50mg. in the evening. This is considered a low dose. While all medications can result in dangerous side effects, the lower dosage that a patient takes also reduces their risk. The most important factor when considering risk that may occur with anew medication is to inform your doctor of everything (medication to include OTC) that you are currently taking or changes that other doctors may recommend.

You should also keep your doctor informed of any thing that you notice in your body (dry mouth) that is recent or anything that develops. This will help when avoiding potential risk factors associated to any medication. I suggest that my patients maintain a body journal and I ask them to make little notes in it such as weight gains or loss, increased fatigue, muscle weakness, all the way down to my big toe hurts when I walk. Smile

One of the most serious risks when taking Lyrica is Renal Failure because the body eliminates this medication via renal excretion. With this you should watch for any swelling that you may notice which is medically known as edema.

You don't mention the dosage of the other medications that you take on a daily basis; however, I want to suggest that you talk these medications over with your doctor. Lexapro is used in the treatment of depression and anxiety. Wellbutrin and Clonazepam are also used for treating anxiety. You state that you haven't slept good until you began taking the Lyrica. Wellbutrin is known for having a side effect of sleeplessness. I have seen many patients taking medications for health problems that can be treated with one. It is always in your best interest to take as little medication as your body requires to provide relief because when taking medication at doses higher than this, the potential for addiction (Clonazepam and Lyrica) is present as well as having the body reach a tolerance level making the medication inefficient after a short time.

If this information has been helpful to you then please do ACCEPT for this is how I am compensated for the service that I provide.

If you have a moment to leave Positive Feedback, this is also greatly appreciated for it allows other customers to see how I interact within the Just Answer on line community.

Most important is that you are totally satisfied. If you would like additional information regarding his question please do not hesitate to ask!.

Stay healthy,