jason
jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives
7489983

I have a 13 year old boy who is 68lbs. and 59 inches tall.

I have a 13 year old boy who is 68lbs. and 59 inches tall. He has been seeing a gastroenterologist for 2 1/2 years because of being so underweight. He has had numerous test and they have all come back normal. My question is should I worry about his weight.
Category: Health
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

1. How tall are his parents?

2. How tall was his father at his age?

3.Does he have any older siblings, if so how has their growth compared?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to jason's Post: mom is 5ft. 7 in. dad is 5 ft. 9 in. I don't know how tall dad was at his age. He has two younger brothers with no problems
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

I just ran the numbers and talked with another doctor. You son is well within normal limits of growth. Yes, he is small but it is nothing to be concerned about. I personally was an inch taller than you son at the same age and just a few pounds heavier. I'm now 6 foot 250 lbs.

If you still have concerns I would suggest an endocrinologist. Endocrinologist can prescribe HGH in a manner that will stimulate the human body to grow. This is something most that I know would want to wait a couple of years to use but if you bring it up now they can start the process if that is an avenue you wish to pursue.

If I have answered your question let me know by clicking Accept so that I get credit for my work. If you still have questions let me know.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They had talked about maybe doing chromosone testing, or even a feeding tube
Expert:  jason replied 6 years ago.

Have you seen an endocrinologist or just the gastroenterologist?

I personally don't know that the chromosome study would do you much good, and a feeding tube is very extreme.

My personal judgement on the issue would be to wait another year and if he has not broke the 62 inch mark start HGH.

If I answered you question let me know by clicking Accept. If you still need help let me know.

jason, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: Area of interest:Chest Pain, Women's Health, Natural Alternatives