Mrs. E Brush
Mrs. E Brush, Nurse
Experience:  RN, CNA II, BLS-CPR certified, Ordination current, Author of "In Exchange for Grace"

Does drinking to much soda cause pain in lower right abdomen

Customer Question

I have pain in the lower right part of my abdomen, from my hip bone and over just a little to the right
Category: Health
Expert:  Mrs. E Brush replied 8 years ago.

Hello! I would not suspect that drinking too much soda would directly lead to the pain that you are describing. If you have noticed a pattern in which you get that pain after drinking a large amount of soda, then there may be a connection, but there is probably another underlying cause involved because this wouldn't be a "usual" result of drinking too much soda.

Occasionally, if you are sensitive to something that you are eating too much of, you can have an inflammation of the bowel. This would usually occur as pain in the lower right abdomen. Other common causes for lower right abdominal pain include appendicitis, hernia or eptopic pregnancy.

If this pain only occurs after drinking soda, then it is possible that you are more sensitive than most people to soda and it is causing an inflammed bowel. If you quit drinking soda and the pain is resolved, then you can probably be assured that this is what it is.

However, if you stop drinking soda and the pain is unresolved, then it was probably a coincidence that the pain occured with the soda and you will want to determine what else could be causing the pain.

If there is any chance that you could be pregnant, you will want to take a pregnancy test. If you are pregnant and having this type of pain, you are at risk for eptopic pregnancy which can be life threatening and requires medical intervention.

If the pain is very severe, and you have a fever along with it, you will want to go to the emergency room to see if you may have an infection or to rule out appendicitis.

If this has been helpful, please remember to press ACCEPT and feel free to contact me if you have anything to add or need clarification.