Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

I have a bright yellow, sweet smelling vaginal discharge ...

I have a bright yellow, sweet smelling vaginal discharge ... I am pretty sure it is a yeast infection; can it be something else?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.
Customer

A yellow vaginal discharge could be an easily treated vaginal infection, such as gardnella or bacterial vaginosis. Please see your doctor for confirmation and treatment. In the mean time refrain from any type of douching, as douching can not only disrupt the normal pH of your body, but can also make it more open to infection. Also avoid any type of sprays or powders.
BV is treated with a course of antibiotics, so you will need to see your doctor for confirmation, and in order to get treatment as treatment is not over the counter. Male partners generally do not need to be treated. However, BV may spread between female sex partners. Your doctor may suggest treatment of your partner if you have frequent infections. You can read more about BV here
http://www.medicinenet.com/bacterial_vaginosis/article.htm
To help prevent BV eat at least 8 oz (226.8 g) of yogurt with live L. acidophilus cultures as part of your long-term daily diet. Consider using birth control pills, which reduce the hormonal changes in the vagina that may lead to BV. Limit the number of your sex partners. Multiple sex partners increase your risk of developing BV by changing the normal environment of the vagina. Only leave a tampon or diaphragm in for a limited length of time.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Annie's Post: If I recently had unprotected sex with a small amount of blood in my urine the next morning, then the discharge began, would this indicate something else beside a yeast infection?
Customer

Are you sure it was blood in your urine, and not vaginal blood?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Annie's Post: it could have been vaginal blood - would that indicate something other than a yeast infection?
Customer

As I stated above, the discharge you are experiencing is not indicative of a yeast infection, but is of an infection of gardnella or bacterial vaginosis. Spotting can occur during an infection since the tissues are most likely irritated from the infection.