Kathleen, Nurse
Experience:  I'm a Registered Nurse with 30+ years of diverse Nursing experience including Emergency room.

I am tired all the time cant seem to stay awake. Why ...

Customer Question

I am tired all the time can't seem to stay awake. Why is this this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Kathleen replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

Fatigue and somnolence can result from a variety of causes, ranging from a virus or endocrine disorder, such as underactive thyroid. Hormonal changes are sometimes responsible for low energy. Low blood sugar can cause drowsiness, but that usually gets better when you eat. Stress and depression are other possible reasons. If you are not getting quality sleep it can result in daytime sleepiness.Sleep apnea causes daytime fatigue. Feelings of fatigue can also be the result of other vitamin deficiencies or certain types of anemia.

Because there are so many possible causes, you should have an evaluation by your doctor that includes blood work. A complete history and physical exam by your doctor is the only way to know for certain what is causing this.

If you have any other questions I will be glad to try to help you and I will remain online.

If I have answered your question please press ACCEPT so that I can receive reimbursement for my time.