JE Sramek MD
JE Sramek MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Specializing in Pathology, I excel at making test results and cancer understandable.
6851312

Can a non-descending testicle be corrected without surgery

Customer Question

As I go about my day my right testicle only tends to pull up inside for no apparent reason and stay there until I push it back down. Is there any way to correct this besides surgery? If so how?
Category: Health
Expert:  JE Sramek MD replied 9 years ago.
Surgery is the primary treatment for a retractile testicle if it persists into puberty. Hormone therapy with HCG is another treatment, but it may not be effective depending on your age. I would recommend seeing a urologist to determine the best option for you. Because there is an increased risk of testicular cancer with undescended testicles, it is also important that you perform regular testicular exams.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you. The information you provided is very helpful and leaves me wondering only at what age hormone therapy is no longer effective or a recommended course of treatment. I am 52 years of age.
Unfortunately, hormone therapy is most effective before puberty. It can be used in men older than that, but the likelihood of response is low. No therapy is without risks, so you'll have to weigh the potential risks and likelihood of response with your physician.

Thank you for accepting my answer, there is no need to hit "accept" for this reply as you would be charged again.