Gidget, Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  20 years of clinical, management and educational experience in Acute and Subacute Care

I am bleeding from the nose and mouth on a regular ...

Customer Question

I am bleeding from the nose and mouth on a regular basis while I sleep or at work, what could this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Gidget replied 8 years ago.
The bleeding from your mouth, is it coughing up blood, or just active bleeding from your mouth?

What medications are you on? Both prescription & OTC?

As well as the nose bleeds, is it during coughing spells or is this also active bleeding?

One thing you can try while sleeping is to elevate your head with extra pillows.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Gidget's Post: I am currently on Ventolin for my asthma. That is all. The bleeding from the mouth is active, not when I cough. The mouth bleeding seems to only happen when I am sleeping, however the nose bleeds are while I sleep and through out the day. Any thoughts?
Expert:  Gidget replied 8 years ago.
How long has this been going on? The Ventolin shouldn't be causing this (is this MDI - inhaler or aerosol treatment?). Are you getting enough moisture / humidity? You might find putting Vaseline inside the nostril tips might help, in addition to pillow elevation I mentioned earlier. Also, try an ice pack, that will reduce inflammation, and decrease blood flow. Have you tried pinching the upper part of your nose when the bleeding starts? I had a patient several years ago that found this to be effective.

But first and foremost, please see a Physician, if you haven't already, especially an ENT, I'm not sure how it is where you live, you may need a referral from your General Practitioner. You might need an endoscope to see what is going on.