Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

how long does the brain take to heal completely I had

how long does the brain take to heal completely? I had a closed head injury resulting in a 2 week coma and short term memory loss in 2004. I regained 90% of my memory, but still become frustrated with some little short term recall. should I have hope or should I be glad for what I have, given 3 1/2 years have gone by.

You are suffering from TBI, or Traumatic Brain Injury Syndrome.

Some deficits in the brain like decreased capacity for memory are known late sequelae of TBI. There are a lot of studies and research being done on this. There is a lot of govt. supported help for this also.

You should consult a neurologist for this. You can go for intervention like rehabilitation, psychological counselling, neurological investigations,etc.

Please look up these important govt. sites for further information on this and the resources available to help you through this:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/tbi.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/tbi/TBI.htm
http://mchb.hrsa.gov/programs/tbi.htm

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: Dr. , Thank you for your input but my question was if I am out of time for a noticable improvement or will it be a trickle? I feel that I am only adjusting to my small short term memory problem, but I can remember the way I use to be...that makes me selfish in wanting to be the way I was.. well nobody can tell unless I tell them about my problem and my confidence has gone down to almost zero. oh, I didn't mention that I was given an exsperamental drug called "progesterone", to stop the bleeding. it worked.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I would like a little more detail regarding my question. I know this can be hard for a doc. not seeing the person, but I would like a time frame on the brain healing and an opinion on the trial drug "progesterone" that was given to me.
The brain has now been shown to be a 'plastic' organ, it can reorganise itself throughout life. Hence the healing can continue for as many years. You will need to train yourself for this, you should continue to expect further improvement as long as you continue to exercise your brain, by doing mental exercises like jigsaw puzzles, crosswords, etc. Yo can also take up learning a new skill, like learning to play some musical instrument. All these have been shown to have a great 'exercising' effect on the brain and helps in improving its function.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank You for your opinion and taking time out to re-answer my question. I'm glad their is a web-site like this to help people with their questions, no matter how small.