Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

I sustained a non displaced fractured rib (7th, left side) ...

Customer Question

I sustained a non displaced fractured rib (7th, left side) after being punched on November 1, 2007. When I lay down, I feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs. I have a very sharp pain under my left nipple, and occasionally it feels like bubbles of air move over my rib cage. I feel numb down my left arm, and my abdomen is very swollen. My weight over the past few days has went from 140 to 153. My veins over my chest are very blue. I have a crackling sound when I breathe at night, and a dry unproductive cough. I also have clear drainage from my nose, and I awake in the mornings with a sore throat. Today, I developed diarrhea. My temp has been a little high for me (normally mine is about 96 and its been up to about 99.8 the past few days) I go back and forth between hot and cold, and have been sleeping with the fan on even though its been pretty cold outside. My face has been flushed and my legs have been very itchy. Is this normal for a healing rib fracture?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 8 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Since when have you been having these other symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this?

Have you done tests like thyroid hormone tests?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have had the new symptoms(crackling when breathing, sore throat, etc.) for about a week..i went back to my regular doctor the day b4 thanksgiving which is in he prescribed the cough syrup...I have had thyroid tests but it has been 2 or 3 years ago
These symptoms are not normal with a rib fracture.

Since you had the rib fracture in November, it will have healed by now since it takes about 6 weeks. So these symptoms are due to some other cause.

It appears to be a mild case of RTI, or respiratory tract infection. You should approach your doctor again, you may need an antibiotic in case it is found to be an infection. You should also ask for your thyroid hormone levels to be checked since you have been having weight gain.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.