Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I have a small bump on the side of my tongue that hurts, ...

I have a small bump on the side of my tongue that hurts, its been there since an episode with white tongue & terrible taste in my ,mouth, that's gone but the bump remained.

How long have you had the bump?

What is the color/appearance?

Can you give an idea of size (pin head, matchhead, bigger?)

Are you a smoker or ever chewed tobacco?

Do you drink alcohol?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
the bump has been there about 3 months, no I domn't smoke or drink, its about the size of a pencil eraser.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
it looks juist like my tongue in texture & color.

The fact that it is the same color and texture as the tongue indicates that this might be an inflammatory or infectious response however with any lump lasting longer than 3 weeks you need to see a dentist or oral specialist to have this examined and possibly a sample sent for analysis.

It is good that you do not smoke or drink as these are risk factors for more serious lumps but even without this history then oral cancer cannot be ruled out until the lump has been examined and sampled. Please make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible.