Theresa
Theresa, Medical Intern
Experience:  Currently a student in Medical School to obtain my MD in General Medicine
1277353

I have had diarrhea for the last four days.Everything I eat ...

I have had diarrhea for the last four days.Everything I eat goes through my system in a hour. I have tried antidiarrhea medicines such as pepto-bismo. It is not working.What can I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

I lost you in the chat room; however, I do have a question. Are you currently running a fever with this and are there any other symptoms?

Terri (Theresa)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no fever,I,m very tired, and my stomach hurts. There is much acid
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have no fever
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

Now that we have connected, let's get this under check!

Being that there is no fever, I am going to suggest the following:

1. Absolutely nothing to eat for the next 24 hours. This will allow the digestive system to rest.

2. Hydration is the key factor of concern with diarrhea and with this I am going to suggest that you drink as much Pedialyte as you like. Pedialyte provides the body with all of the essential electrolytes that it needs to maintain healthy body function and hydrates as well. This can be purchased in the section for infants at your local discount store such as Wal Mart or your grocer. The fruit flavored isn't that bad! Smile

3. I would like for you to drink 8 ounces of rice water every 8 hours. You will make this. Simply make a pan of rice according to package directions but double the amount of water that is required. You can add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the rice water and a pinch (tiny pinch) of salt to make it more palatable. Rice water is a binding agent.

4. Continue with an over the counter medication...Immodium AD is preferred. You can double the first dose.

5. If you can tolerate it...Chamomile tea is excellent for the upset stomach (fairly tasty) and can be had in addition to the pediolyte.

VERY IMPORTANT: If your symptoms do not begin to subside with in 24 hours time then I am going to suggest that you see a physician as you may have an ulcer.

If you are noticing relief then you can begin to add foods slowly and easily for a period of 72 hours: Mashed potatoes, puddings, Jello, broth, etc., soft foods that are easily digested.

If this information has been helpful to you then please do ACCEPT as this is how I am paid for my work. Positive feedback is also appreciated; and, do let me know if I can help you further.

Otherwise, in spite of the way you feel right now, My you enjoy a holiday spirit that is filled with peace, love and laughter.

Terri60

Theresa, Medical Intern
Experience: Currently a student in Medical School to obtain my MD in General Medicine