Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

will I be given pain medication after a prostate biopsy

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 9 years ago.

Yes, Customer , the doctors will give you pain medication after performing the biopsy .

If you like the answer, click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated .

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ALVARO's Post: will I have to ask for the medication or the Dr.just give it to me?

They usually give it to you directly without asking .

If you like the answer, click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no pain medication was given
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no pain medication was given
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
With all due respect to the expert who previously answered your question - each physician makes the decision on treatment based on your medical history, their pesonal preferences and their impression of what is in your best interest.

It is possible that this doctor just forgot to write a prescription. I would suggest calling the doctor's answering service if you are having pain that is not relieved with over the counter medications.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
more information please
What additional information do you need?

After a prostate biopsy , you can experience some pain and discomfort , it is possible that you experience some bleeding in the urine or bleeding from your rectum for 2-3 days .

But if this bleeding persists longer than 3 days , if you see blood clots in the urine , if you can not urine or has burning urination (this can be a sign of urinary tract infection). You will need to consult a doctor immediately.

If you have not been able to contact your doctor , you could take Ibuprophen 200mg ( 1 tablet every eight hours ) to relieve your pain , only take this medication if you are not allergic to it and if you do not have previous stomach bleeding problems . Do not take this medication longer than 5 days .

If you like the answer, click accept . A bonus will always be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX