Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

tiny white blister, dots on both sides of inner cheeks.

Customer Question

tiny white blister, dots on both sides of inner cheeks. They are also, white dot like blisters on back of throat. Neither are painful. I am 31 years old and the Doctor told me it was coxsackie virus. My appointment was over a month ago and they are still present. I also never got the medication because they really don't bother me. They are very small, some you can barely see and slightly raised. I know they are not canker sores because they are crater like and painful. They also have been around for longer then 2 weeks. I know they are not thrush because they will not brush off. i on anti anxiety meds as well as wellbrutin and nexium. I have a bad habit of using mouth wash 3-4 times a day.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.

How many of these spots do you have?

Did your Dr draw blood to confirm the diagnosis?

Are you a smoker?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2 on left side of cheek that I can see. maybe 3 or 4 on the other side. The spots are located on the lower, inner cheek on the same place on both sides. Some of them you can barely see but feel with tongue.

Dr. did not draw blood.

I was a heavy smoker for years but quit 2 years ago. Would I be just having problems now?

Also, alcoholic. Beer mostly!
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi

I cannot be sure what you have is smoking related. However if you have previously smoked you can still be at risk - although less so - of some smoking associated problems.

You clearly need to have this looked at again so as to make a definite diagnosis.

If you prefer not to see your usual Dr then I would suggest an oral surgeon or an otolaryngologist.

Please ask if you would like further information.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
any idea what could be causing this? They are really not bothersome or painful. That is why I have not been back to doc!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
also interesting the tiny dots are on both sides of the mouth in same place
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi

Yes that is unusual.

Are the spots definitley blistered?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not think they are blisters (fluid filled sacs..right) They are raised white dots really. They also feel hard and not soft like a blister or canker sore I had in the past. I also bite my cheeks alot.

Thoughts?

I also pick at my mouth alot and admittely obcessed with things that might change inside my mouth. Family doc said to stop obcessing and looking at my mouth everyday. Just had a CBC and what normal and complete physical and was told i am healthy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The tests were ordered because my doc was concerned i kept coming to her for minor things that I thought was going to kill me. She wanted to prove I was fine. Also, have appointment with psychologist in the coming weeks.

I bit of hypochondriac and this might be nothing.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Thanks

So they are not blisters.

Certainly chewing your check will cause changes in the lining of your mouth.

From what you have told me I strongly suspect that is the problem.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Even white raised dots?
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for intruding, but I could not resist.

These are almost certainly Fordyce's granules.

Fordyce's granules are small clumps of sebaceous glands that are located on the border of the lips or inside the mouth, and on the penis or labia. They are clusters of sebaceous glands which can be present in these areas. Some amount of Fordyce's glands, more or less, are found on upto 8/10 people.

They are no cause of worry at all, they are perfectly normal glands, only their location makes them visible. You should not worry about them.

If they are worrying you, you can go for laser vapourisation, for this you will have to approach a dermatologist who can do this. This is also necessary for a diagnosis.

You can look up here:

http://dermnetnz.org/acne/fordyce.html

http://www.answers.com/topic/fordyce-s-spots

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you everyone for their help. Last question before i pay is could these glands be on the inner cheeks (the sides) and not under the lip part. My spots are on the sides of cheeks and not under the lip.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 7 years ago.
Hi

Yes.

In response to repeated trauma.

Dr Jef
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS MRCGP