Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

A large lump of fluid appeared at my left elbow ...

A large lump of fluid appeared at my left elbow right at the point of the elbow. No trauma that I can remember; no pain; just big fluid lump. How should I treat it? I have access to all kinds of therapy modalities, ultrasound, cryotherapy, tens, etc. Please give me some explicit directions. 60 year old active golfer (right handed) does not hurt when I play. No related health issues that I can think of...I did have a blood draw for yearly physical and a flu shot a half hour later in that arm. There was some brusing from the blood draw. I can provide a picture if needed. I have a Ph.D. and know a little about medicine and anatomy, but this one puzzles me. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Have you seen a doctor for this?

Any tests done like Xrays or CT scans?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Have spoken to my MD, he told me it was not likely due to the blood draw, more likely trauma, but there was none I can remember...no xray or cat scan. It has been about 12 days and it has not gotten worse, and it is not tender to the touch although it is warm...the fluid that is.
This sudden fluid filled goose-egg like lump in the elbow is very likely to be due to Olecranon Bursitis.

The bursa in your elbow becomes inflamed and fluid starts collecting due to some sudden trauma, etc. It is not likely to be due to the blood draw, instead the golfing activity is much more likely.

You should consult your family physician, or an orthoppaedician, to get treated for this. You may need antibiotics and the fluid may need to be drained.

Treatment at home is termed RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Please read up here:
http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/EContent_HT/cnoteShowLfts.asp?fname=02119&title=ELBOW+BURSITIS+&cid=HTHLTH

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My MD said, without seeing it, "it should go away by itself." It has seemed to get a little better every day, but I have not treated it...should I use ultrasound as well as RICE or do you think I need to see someone for it? The area is more concentrated, less hot (no redness ever) and as I said not tender at all.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Also, it appeared when I was NOT playing golf, before I got here to FL from NJ so while it could be from golf, it does not appear related. I know this is difficult from afar, but I just want tome treatment ideas before I need to go see a Doc, if I even need to see one.
You could try initially with RICE and ultrasound, it is usually a self limiting condition and should go away with such treatment. However, if there is pain, you will need to see a doctor as you will need antibiotics, but since you are not experiencing pain you can try with the above regimen.

If it persists for more than a week, or there is no sign of change, or it increases then you need to see a doctor.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks...I'll give the approach a try before I go further. I am assuming @ 20 minutes of ultrasound maybe BID? I will accept your advice in a sec. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Yes, that would be appropriate.