Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

I am losing weight in my face only.

People have noticed that i am losing weight. But the scale shows i am gaining. People say my face is thining...even that my head is shrinking. It does seem to look that way. Actually even over the past few days i notice that it seems my face is still thining. I am 43 years old. Otherwise healthy. What can this be?
Category: Health
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I am still noticing the losing of weight in my face even over the past few days.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 6 years ago.

If you exercise and diet to control your weight, then it is likely that you are losing fat from your face. Weight loss occurs first from the face and then from other parts of the body.

Since the scales are showing that you are gaining weight, it is likely that you are gaining muscle mass and losing fat. Since muscle weighs more than fat, the scales may show an increased weight even when you are losing fat.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: Thank you DR. Mazumdar for your reply. However, i have not been working out. I have been consciously eating more to see if that will help stop loss of weight in my face. However i gain weight in my stomach by my face continues to lose weight (even its size it appears). Has this happened to others? Could it just be the way I age (more rapidly than is common by having a narrowing face?)? Or, not to sound like a hypochondriac, but are there certain kinds of lets say local cancers that could be draining weight from just a portion of my body like my head? I do not have HIV, but I have noticed in AIDS patience that their face narrows and sinks in. What about HIV might do this to the face apparently first before seemingly thinning out the rest of the body?

Thanks again,

Teren

Hello Teren,

I am glad to inform you that there are no diseases that can cause weight loss from the face alone - no cancers nor any infections like HIV.

Loss of fat from the face can occur either because you are losing weight overall (which you are not) or due to sagging of muscles of the face. At your age, you should not really have much sagging of the face muscles.

But I believe that to prevent further thinning of the face, you need to go for a regular facial from a professional beautician. This will help stimulate the skin and tone up the muscles. You can even give yourself a light face massage once a week using a good massage cream or a baby oil. You can see the steps of a home facial massage here:

- http://www.coolnurse.com/massage2.htm

You also need to drink enough water - at least 8 glasses - as mild dehydration can cause the skin to sag and lose tone. A good multivitamin multimineral supplement. especially one containing Zinc will help.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you DR. Mazumdar. You have been very helpful. There was just one part of that last question i was not clear on. This should be my last reply on this. I appreciate your helpfulness on this. With HIV patience, they sag in the face usually before greater body weight loss. I was just wondering if that might be related possibly to something other than HIV in my system.? Some deficiency or low immunity or something. What would it be that causes that affect in HIV patience. Thanks again very very much.

Hello Teren,

Weight loss occurs first and is more noticeable on the face. Any HIV patient that you have seen who has a sunken face but have not apparently lost weight from their body would show a weight loss if their weight was measured. But this change shows up first on the faces. So this causes them to appear to lose weight on their face but not on their bodies.

If a bit of skin of an HIV patient who has a sunken face is picked up with two fingers, you would probaly be able to note that there is little fat under the skin, although they may appear to have no fat loss on the body.

I believe that you are worried that the loss of fat from your face could be probably due to an HIV infection. Let me assure you that weight loss in HIV occurs much later than other symptoms like diarrhea, cough, pneumonia, skin eruptions. In almost all patients , HIV is diagnosed much before the actual weight loss occurs.

HIV rarely, if ever, has weight loss as the first symptom.

Deficiencies and dehydration may cause loss of fat overall from the body and show up first in the face.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Twenty years experience in active private practice