Macy RN
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience:  RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.
5260558

I missed my last pill of my birth control pack. 7 days ...

I missed my last pill of my birth control pack. 7 days later, I had unprotected sex. Could I have gotten pregnant?
Category: Health
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello lulu,

Where you taking a 21 or 28 day pack?

Thanks,

Macy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Macy RN's Post: It's a 28-day pack, with the last 7 pills being sugar pills (when you're suppose to have your period.) By the way, I got pregnant very easily the first time I tried. Prior to this, I may have possibly gotten pregnant from pre-cum, meaning I'm a very fertile person. I've been pregnant twice.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Lulu.

Birth control pills are 99% effective.

That said it is ok that you missed the last pill since it was a sugar pill.

That would not change your protection.

Of coarse abstinence is the only 100% guarantee.

There is a 1% chance that when the pill is taken correctly that preganancy can occur but the pill you missed do not increase those odds at all.

Best wishes,

Macy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Macy RN's Post: I apologize, I confused you. I didn't miss a sugar pill, I missed the last ACTIVE pill (like pill number 21 out of 28.)
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Unfortunately you might not like my new answer.

There is a chance you could have gotten pregnant but ovulation usually takes place around day 10-14 so it is a good chance that you missed your fertile time.

You might even miss your period because you missed a pill so don't automatically freak out.

Just take a test.

Here is a great chart that can help too.

http://healthservices.dal.ca/Health%20Information/Missed_Birth_Control.php

Good luck.

Macy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Macy RN's Post: When is the earliest I can take a test? We just had sex last night.

By the way, I already freaked out after I took my first 28-day pill and saw in my last pack that I missed my last "active" pill. So I took that pill as well. Would these two pills help to prevent the pregnancy or could it already be too late?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Lulu,

Your chances are good with taking the active pill.

Wait a couple of days if you miss your period and then test.

You might possibly have to take a couple of test since your period could be thrown off now.

~Macy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Macy RN's Post: I'm sorry for all these questions, by I have to make sure I understand everything clearly.

When you say "your chances are good with taking the active pill", does that mean that even though I took the last active pill a week late, the fact that I took it with my new pack of pills may have helped prevent a pregnancy?

Also, when you say "wait a couple of days if you miss your period and then test", does that mean I have to wait over 3 WEEKS now to test since yesterday was the last day of my period?
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.

Lulu,

That is important news that you just had your period.

I think you are not pregnant.

The chances of getting pregnant will on your period is almost nonexistant.

Plus the fact that you took the extra pill I think you are safe.

Your chance of being pregnant is the same as if you hadn't missed a pill since sex was when you were on your period and you took the extra pill.

You can relax.

Macy

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Macy RN's Post: Thank you so much for your help, I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYTHING! Have a great night!
Expert:  Macy RN replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome.
Macy RN, RN CHPN
Experience: RN of 19 years.Experienced in ER, Critical Care, Surgery, Nutrition, Peds,OB/Gyn and Hospice.