Pam
Pam, Health Care Professional
Experience:  Emergency Response Team, Dental Hygienist, Scientist, Researcher

Why do i throw up stomach acid everyday

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Pam replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JA

What you are describing sounds like acid reflux. Your stomach is full of acid so that you can digest the food you eat. However, this acid is not meant to leave your stomach. Pepcid A/C is a medication that many people take for acid reflux. You might also be able to control it with TUMS. The idea is to take it before meals so that the acid doesn't build to a point where you throw up. On a pH scale, TUMS and Pepcid A/C will help neutralize some of your stomach acid and it should help keep you from throwing it up. If you continue the reflux, it can cause and erosion of your esophagus and stomach lining...so, it is important to get it under control.

The following web site describes acid reflux in more detail:

http://purplepill.com/why_you_hurt/acid_reflux_disease.aspx?source=902&src=ppc

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!
Pam, Health Care Professional
Experience: Emergency Response Team, Dental Hygienist, Scientist, Researcher
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Pam's Post: Let me better describe my problem i have tried zantac pepcid and tums none of them worked i still get sick i have had an ekg done and they said my throat was fine. but they keep pumping me full of reflex medicine that doesnt work i think its more to do with a nurvous stomach or something heres my problem from the beginning

Age: 0 - 15 I had 0 stomach problems I was social and athletic. I never liked public speaking or being around a HUGE number of people.

Age: 18
I was kinda forced to goto my senior prom. An hour before prom time I started Coughing and fealing sick to my stomach. I made it through prom without getting sick but did get a little dizzy at times.

Every since that day I have felt sick every single mourning and if I HAVE to do somethng.

I wake up every mourning throwing up yellow stomach acid. Right after I wake up I throw it up then about an hour later im perfectly fine.

Throughout the day if something comes up where I have to do something lets say my girlfriend calls me and wants me to go out to dinner with her and her parents I cant because I will start caughing and fealing sick and start gagging.

Mon - Fri I throw up stomach acid

Sat - Sun im fine unless I have to wake up early for something in that case I will throw up stomach acid

I have had this problem for about 5 years now and would really like to figure it out

I have tried a couple medications I don't know the names or remember I gave up on them because of the side effects and I have a job that I cant miss work at all and have to work all day I cant deal with side effects like making me tired or dizzy or sick

If someone could please help I would appriciate it
Thanks
Expert:  Pam replied 6 years ago.
If you have conditioned yourself to react to stress by becoming sick, you will have to teach yourself a different way to respond to stress. I would recommend asking your girlfriend or someone else close to you to help you. First, you will have to decide what response you would like to take the place of being sick. It can be anything from counting silently in your head, making a fist and then straightening your hand 50 times, etc. Start with something small. The idea is to think only of whatever it is you are choosing to replace getting sick. Tune everything else out at the moment (similar to when you are watching your favorite tv show and someone is talking nearby but you concentrate on the tv so much that you can't hear the person speak). Once you have decided on a response, ask your girlfriend to create a mildly stressful situation. You have to start slow and keep responding the same way over and over again, while your girlfriend slowly increases the amount stress in the situation.
If it was the prom that started this reaction, you can condition yourself to respond in a different way, but it will take time and effort.

I am glad you do not have damage from the reflux. I am also glad you are wanting to work to stop this from happening so that you can prevent future damage the reflux will likely cause.

Please read the following web site to further your understanding of what you will be working to accomplish. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance:

http://www.as.wvu.edu/~sbb/comm221/chapters/pavlov.htm