Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

The area under my eyes is red, puffy and itchy. this ...

The area under my eyes is red, puffy and itchy. this happens a few times a year and goes away leaving the skin sunburn-like and peeling. It takes a week to heal. Now I just got it again and it is lasting a week. I've soaked the area with tea bags, applied topical cream and taken benadryl. It isn't healing. What is it and how do I treat it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.

Such puffy eyes can occur due to a number of causes like renal diseases, hypothyroidism, etc.

But in your case, since it has been there only for about a week, and is recurrent, it is almost certain to be due to allergy.

Allergy can be due to any factors, and in this season is usually due to pollen, etc. You should check out whether you have started any new soap, ointment or detergent within this period. It could be from some new article of clothing or jewellery. They might also be due to some new medications that you are using.

It could also be due to some food that you took very recently. Watch out for foods like shell fish, sea fish, meats, cheese, etc. Also any new types of processed foods. If you do find anything which could be the cause, then try to avoid it

You should take Tab. Alavert 10 mg (OTC) once daily for at least 10 to 15 days. You should also look up this site for some general tips:
http://www.eyecaresource.com/conditions/puffy-eyes/

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: If it is an allergic reaction to a food such as shellfish (which seems entirely plausable), how quickly would the symptoms present and for how long would they remain? Would respiratory symptoms such as post-nasal drip, coughing, mucous, and itchy tissue around the eyes correlate with an allergy as well?
Shelfish sallergy would start around a few hours and could remain for two three days or even more dpending on the reaction.

Post nasal drip, runny nose, etc. could all be part of the same allergy complex.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Last question on this - if it is an allergic reaction to pollen or some other environmental factor, would it also appear rather quickly? Is it something that doesn't necessarily always appear as a result of the stimulii? (I'm outside a lot and I'm trying to figure out if it is only when I'm working on gardening or some other land/property related activity. It is something that I wake up with and it just happens that this time it has lasted longer then previous outbreaks - going on over one week now. The area under the eye is swollen, red and itchy and is drying and flaking as time progresses.)
Thanks
Yes, allergic reactions could appear quite quickly.

A stimulus which produces an allergy would be expected to produce the allergy everytime it hits the person. But in case of pollens and other natural allergens, the difference is that pollen release could be at a particular time of the day or at a particular temperature, etc. so that a part of the garden which contains the pollen on one day may not contain it the next ady. Similarly, it could be pollen from a particular part only so that only a part of the garden could contain it. This could be one explanation of the variability of your reactions.