Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
5707095

3 weeks now, Ive been having some burning/warm

Customer Question

3 weeks now, I've been having some burning/warm sensation around the bottom of my scrotum. Sometimes it feels like its coming from inside the scrotum but sometimes it feels like its the rectum or anus. Sometimes it will feel like its the flat area between the anus and the scrotum but most of the time, it feels like its my scrotum. I will mostly feel it if I'm sitting down for more than half an hour. I've been to my physician 3 times and she thinks it will go away on its own. A little something else is that for a whole month I had been on a new diet plan where I was eating 5 eggs a day and my physician thinks it could be the egss but I stopped eating eggs right when I felt the burning. I also got tested for STD and HIV as well...both came out negative. I haven't had sex in over 2 years.
So now I'm thinking it could be congested prostatis...I had doubled up on eating spicy food in the whole month of september and I am sitting down for a long amount of time at work as well. Please advise
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Based on what you write, I have two contenders/guesses as to what could be your problem. I aggree with you regarding prostatitis and I would suggest being tested for prostatitis. Prostatitus is an infection or inflamation of the prostate, and it can indeed produce pain like you describe. Symptoms of prostatitus also include:

"frequency of urination, slowing of the urinary stream, burning with voiding or ejaculation, burning in the penile tip unrelated to voiding, sexual dysfunction (such as difficulty with erection), aching in the penis, testicles, and discomfort in the lower abdomen, low back, groin, rectum or perineum (the area between the scrotum and rectum - betwixt the "wind and the rain")."

It is one of the most common reasons for men to be seen. It is NOT associated with prostate cancer, and there is NO link between prostate cancer and prostatitus. This condition can be caused by chronic or acute bacterial infections, and most commonly, there is inflamation but no bacteria present (but the semen does contain products of inflamation). There is also prostodynia, which produces pain but no objective findings.

To test for prostatitus, an analysis of the semen is made, and often it can involve a prostate exam as well. In prostatitus, Treatment for this involves antibiotics for a few weeks. Medication can also be given to relax the prostate so it is not as painful.

Here is a helpful website:

http://www.medicinenet.com/prostatitis/article.htm

My second contender is a condition called epididymtis which is an inflamation of the epididymus, the collection of tubes that transports semen from the vas deferens.As you have had this for three weeks, I would label it chronic epididymus. Acute epidydimitus tends to occur suddenly and resolve with treatment, the chronic condition occurs gradually. Generally, in acute epidydimitus the urine is infected, in chronic, it is not. The chronic case generally does not produce a red or swollen testicle, but signs and symtoms do include pain in the testicles. There can also be (but doesnt have to be) bloody semen, pain on intercourse, and in the acute case, fever and a penile discharge.

The most common cause for the acute case in men under 40 IS an STD, and I know youve tested negative. The chronic condition can occur after acute cases are left untreated, or for no reason anyone can find.

Chronic epidydiditis doesnt respond that well to treatment, unfortunately. Generally the mainstay is anti pain medications.

I suggest a visit to a urologist who can do further testing and follow up.

Here is a helpful link regarding epidymitus: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/epididymitis/DS00603

I do think the epidymitus is more likely than the prostatus given your symptoms are mainly scrotal based.

I hope that helps you...

Sincerely,

Susan

Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience: RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You said it could be epidymitus and these are the symptoms for it:

* Testicular swelling on one or both sides
    * Scrotal pain ranging from mild to severe
    * Tenderness in one or both testicles
    * Tenderness in the groin, felt in the fold of the skin between your thigh and abdomen
    * Painful urination
    * Painful intercourse or ejaculation
    * Fever
    * Discharge from penis
    * Blood in the semen

However, I have none of the symptoms listed above...the only thing that I have been feeling is really warm around my scrotum area when sitting down.

"3 weeks now, I've been having some burning/warm sensation around the bottom of my scrotum. Sometimes it feels like its coming from inside the scrotum but sometimes it feels like its the rectum or anus. Sometimes it will feel like its the flat area between the anus and the scrotum but most of the time, it feels like its my scrotum. I will mostly feel it if I'm sitting down for more than half an hour."

HelloCustomer

Going by what you wrote, which to my interpretation of what you wrote did sound like scrotal pain, thats how I came up with my two possibles. Of course it could be neither, without an in person physical exam (or ability to diagnose) all I can offer are my suggestions for your information and education. Certainly chronic epidydmitus doesnt have many of the symptoms that the acute cases do (like fever or penile discharge) and based on what you wrote of scrotal pain, thats why I felt it could be chronic epidydmitis..

I thank you for clarification...I still think it might be chronic epidymitus, or prostatitus. And a urology visit may help find the true cause.

I hope you feel better,

Susan

PS: please do NOT click Accept for this question as it is a continuation of our threaded discussion.