Melissa
Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience:  B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia
3680697

My fingers get wrinkled like they have been immersed in ...

Customer Question

My fingers get wrinkled like they have been immersed in water even when they are not wet. This happens in both warm and cold weather. I have no health problems that I know of. Is this something to be concerned about? I would apprecaite any citiations so I can read about this condition.
Category: Health
Expert:  Christy Hammond replied 9 years ago.

It is actually not a condition, but a natural process. As you know, fingers and toes wrinkle naturally when immersed because as you take on water because the top layer swells, but it is superficial. The under-layer does not plump cuasing the wrinkled look on top. When your body is immersed, your skin which is actually one very large organ, takes on water which spreads throughout the cells of the skin, including those that are not immersed. The same process causes the skin on the fingers to look wrinkled. As long as they return to normal, as the rest of your skin does after drying, there is no cause for concern.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp--dyn/content/article/2006/07/31/AR2006073100905.htmldyn/content/article/2006/07/31/AR2006073100905.html

http://www.umm.edu/dermatology-info/anatomy.htm

I haven't found a specific web site referencing this exact explanation, but the above references explains the wrinkling process and the skin's properties, which I think will lay it out for you.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I think you misread my question. My fingers get prunelike often when they are NOT wet. It resembles the wrinkling of wet fingers but it happens when my fingers have NOT been immersed in water.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Christy,

It says there is a new answer form you but I don't see any.
I apologize-I am less familiar with your symptoms and would like another expert to step in and make 100% sure you get the very best answer. i referred your question to an excellent Nurse Practitioner who I am certain can help you. I apologize for delaying your answer in any way.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Christy Hammond's Post: THank you, I will wait for another answer
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

Hello,Customer

Do your fingers stay wrinkled, or is it something that happens occasionally?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: It happens occasionally. They seem to wrinkle up for now reason and then go back to normal.
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.

The reason that fingers wrinkle like this, as mentioned by Christy, is due to water or moisture on the skin that absorbs into the top layer, but not the bottom. Since the two layers are attached (sort of glued together), they prune.

It's best known for happening after you get out of the pool or a long shower, but other reasons it might happen is if you're in a particularly humid environment, or especially if you tend to have sweaty hands from time to time. Some people have excessive sweating in some areas of their body and not others (called hyperhidrosis), which can involve the hands.

I hope this helps!

Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience: B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia