Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

what causes indentations in the crown of your head.

Customer Question

On the crown of my head it feels like my sckull is split/a gulley that is soft in the middle. Aout 3 inches long.Now the past recent weeks I have noticed another one about an inch from the first.
Category: Health
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld replied 9 years ago.
DearCustomer

Assuming that the phenomenon you observed hasn't always been there and is not the result of known physical injury, this is known as an "en coup de sabre" lesion, which is a sign of a condition known as either linear morphea or linear scleroderma. This is a condition of unknown cause, but is generally grouped with other auto-immune or rheumatic conditions.

Confirmation of diagnosis can be made by a combination of microscopic examination of a small skin specimen from the involved area, or blood tests. You should consult with your doctor to more conclusively confirm a diagnosis.

You can read more here:

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/94/NYU/Jan2002/5.html

Hope this helps...