Dr A Gupta
Dr A Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD Internal Medicine, Internist with over 12 years of urgent care/outpatient experience.

Upper-left chest pain. Above the left breast. Comes and ...

Upper-left chest pain. Above the left breast. Comes and goes. Feels like a hot poker. Helps if I do deep breathing and expand my chest. I have hight chlorestrol. Taking Crestor and Zetia.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr A Gupta replied 9 years ago.
Did you had an EKG done?
Did the cardiologist considered a stress test?
Since when do you have the pain?
Any relation of pain to meals? Does the pain persists throughout the day or at a certain time of the day?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Cardiologist did an EKG. Not sure of the results but he wasn't saying it showed anything wrong. (?) Said I didn't need a stress test at this time. I have the pain off and on throughout the day. I feel like a want to message over my left breast and deep breathe and expand my chest. I has no relationship to meals.
This is most likely Pleurisy, especially in light of the relation of pain to deep breathing. Pleurisy pain can be worsened by deep breathing and can be relieved as well. This is because pleurisy results from inflammation of thin covering of tissue around the lungs. This can be caused by infection, injury, tumor etc. Since the cardiologist did not consider stress test for you, EKG was most likely normal. Treatment is primarily symptomatic with medications like Motrin, Aleve etc till the resolution of symptoms. A chest X-ray may also be considered along with consultation with a Pulmunologist.

More info-

Dr. G