DrNowicki
DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience:  >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds
5583463

What is a grade I degenerative spondylolisthesis at L4-5

Lumbar flexion/extension
Category: Health
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 9 years ago.

Hi there.

Spondylolisthesis is a back condition in which the vertebra (the spine) slips forward relative to the vertebra above and/or below it. L4-5 indicates the level of the spine in which the bone is slipping forward. The lumbar spine (designate by the letter "L") is the lower part of your spine. There are 5 lumbar vertebrae.The grade tells us how much of the bone has moved. Grade 1 = 25% of the vertebral body (bone) has slipped forward. Degeneration means that the bone has slowly deteriorated and worn away. This often occurs as a result of age and/or overuse.

In your case grade 1 degenerative spondylolisthesis at L4-5 = the vertebral body (bone) at the L4-5 level of your lower back has slipped forward 25% most likely as a result of wearing away of the bone.

Spondylolisthesis can cause pain in the lower ack, radiating pain/discomfort in the legs, and possible weakness in the legs/changes in walking. Treatment varies from physical therapy to injections (which it looks like you hve one) and possibly surgery. This needs to be discussed and determined by your doctor.

I hope this information is helpful. You can find more information here: http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article114.html

-Dr.John

Please check ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my work. Positiv FEEDBACK and BONUSES are appreciated.