Paramedic P
Paramedic P, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience:  Paramedic, 12+ years in health care, work in a mobile clinic that treats the homeless
5213119

My urine smells very much like vinegar, is this a possible ...

My urine smells very much like vinegar, is this a possible cause for alarm? it is a cloudy, but I have no pain when I go to the bathroom. and I don't have to go any more than normal
Category: Health
Expert:  Paramedic P replied 7 years ago.

Hello Trac

There are many things that cause urine to have an odd odor. Some of the causes are

Asparagus - may turn urine green color with odor.

Cystitis - smelly urine

Diabetes

Diabetic ketoacidosis

Kidney stones - smelly urine

Lower urinary tract infection --smelly urine

Vitamin B6 supplements

If you click on any of the links you will go to the WD web-site and it will describe each illness.

Even though you don't have a frequent urge to urinate or any pain does not mean there is no infection. Urinary tract infections can present with cloudy urine and odor. It is impossible to find the cause without an examination and a urinalysis from a doctor. It is very important that anytime you notice a change in your urine that you contact your doctor right away for an appointment. Although UTI's are uncomfortable they are usually not life threatening. There are other conditions that cause strange urine odor that are extremely dangerous, such as diabetic ketoacidosis. This usually produces a very sweet smelling odor and can cause coma or death. This is why it is important to be evaluated.

It would be extremely difficult to find the actual cause of this problem without a urinalysis. I am giving you a web-site that you can read through that explains several different causes of urine change. If you have time take a look through it and it may help you.

I am so sorry that you have this problem. I hope I have helped and if you need anything else please let me know.

Sincerely,

Bunny

If you are satisfied with my answer please hit the accept button. If you have further questions I will be happy to help you.

Paramedic P, Paramedic (EMT)
Experience: Paramedic, 12+ years in health care, work in a mobile clinic that treats the homeless