A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I just got Amoxicillin 250mg/5ml Suspension for my 2 ...

I just got Amoxicillin 250mg/5ml Suspension for my 2 1/2 year old daughter. She weighs 35.3 pounds. The doctor told me to give her 14 ml every 12 hours for 7 days. My question is, isn't that too much? My 6 year old son NEVER had to take so much. Tops 1Tsp (5ml). Can you please help me?

The proper dose is more like 2.25 mL (a little less than 1/2 teaspoon) every 8 hours. Be sure to call your doctor and tell him or her about the mistake - also your pharmacist who should have caught this huge error.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: Thank you. I did give my daughter around 11am a dosage of 14ml. Now she has a temperature and she is cranky. She didn't have any high temperature or complains about how she feels before. Should i give her another dosage around 7pm or 8pm? What should i do?

If she were my daughter, I would hold the antibiotic since she's already had her day's dosage plus some. I would give whatever you normally give her for fever (Tylenol, Motrin) and watch her. If the fever doesn't come down and stay at a reasonable level (101º) then you need to get the doctor on the phone. The poor little dear is going to be cranky because she doesn't feel good.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: The doctor told me first when she gave me the Amoxicillin, that I have to give my daughter 7ml every 12 hours. And at the pharmacy he saw in the PC that she wrote 2 times 14 ml every 12 hours. He did calculate and he called the doctor back and she said that's right. But that wasn't what she told me and I told the pharmacist, too.
Is that 7ml a good dosage. The doctor said that she needed about 722mg a day from the Amoxicillin.
What do you think? I am very confused right now.

The dose of amoxicillin is 20 mg/kg/day in divided doses (usually 3 doses, but some doctors use 2). Your daughter weighs 35.3 lbs which is 16.01 kg

16.01 kg x 20 mg/kg = 320.2 mg per day dose to be given.

The medication contains 250 mg/5mL and you want to give 320.2 mg.

If there are 250 mg in 5 mL, then there would be 50 mg in 1 mL. You need 320.2 mg divided by 50 mg/mL = 6.4 mL to be given per DAY, but you want to divide this in 2 doses of 3.2 mL each( or 3 doses of 2.13 mL each)

Just as an aside, 14 mL of 250 mg/5 mL would be a dose of 700 mg.

The high level dosage for children with serious infections is 45 mg/kg/day X 16.01 kg = 720.45 mg/day divided by 50 mg/mL = 14.41 mL per DAY in divided doses. Thus what your doctor told you in the office would be right. You would give 7 mL every 12 hours.