A. Alexander, MD
A. Alexander, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Hospital Medicine Director

I have a red dot on the tip of my nose for the last 5 ...

I have a red dot on the tip of my nose for the last 5 days. I have not had a break-out there or any other event happen, it just appear on morning and I can't seem to get it to go away. I am starting to stress out about it, so any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Alexander, MD replied 9 years ago.

If it is not a pimple, it may be a herpes outbreak. Polysporin won't help. You will require an anti-viral like zovirax. This will likely get better on its own, but if you notice it worsening, go and get a prescription.

See this link:

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your answer but I don't think this applies to me. I have never had a cold sore before, and the area is not sore, nor does not leak. For someone who does not have herpes is it not true that you can only get it from contact with someone who does have it? because this does not apply in my case, I am certain.

This is herpes type 1, not genital herpes. I is spread by kissing, and most of the population has it. It may not leak, it may just be a red bump. The other possibility is acne that has not formed a head. Other possibilities are out there, but you're so young that most do not apply to you. If you start having more sores or red spots elsewhere, then I would consider other skin conditions such as rosacea or lupus -- but with one red spot, this would be rather unusual.