Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

Pain in upper neck right side just below hairline ...

Pain in upper neck right side just below hairline generating into ear. Constant sharp pain.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 9 years ago.

Does the pain increase when you move your neck or arm?

Does the pain give you a headache?

Since when have you had this pain? Has it been occurring on and off for a long time?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: This has been on going for 2 weeks and yes it does give me headaches. Sometimes my head feels like mush. The pain never seems to stop even vicoden only dulls it. moving arm and neck does not make it better or worse.

HelloCustomer

A pain or a headache occurrring at the base of the head (whether after physical activity or otherwise) is usually due to stimulation of the occipital nerve. It is a type of tension headache. The commonest cause of an occipital headache is tension of the muscles of the back of the neck and lower scalp. These squeeze or pinch the occipital nerve that arises from the base of the skull, causing intense headache. Here is a very good image of the occipital nerve emerging from the skull:

- http://gulfcoastpain.com/onb_Info.htm scroll down to the image midway on the page.

Other causes of occipital neuralgia or headache can be injury to the back of the neck or any conditions affecting the bones of the skull at the point of emergence of the nerve. Arthritis of the joints of the spine at the base of the head can also cause occipital headache.

You will need to get an Xray done to check for arthritis.

If you do not have arthritis, treatment essentially consists of relaxing the muscles by injecting a local anesthetic at the site as well as oral medicines to decrease the pain. Massage, application of warm pack and physiotherapy can also help.

The occipital nerve gives off a branch known as the lesser occipital nerve which supplies parts of the ear. So, pressure over the occipital nerve can also cause ear pain.

To know more about occipital headaches, please see:

- http://www.virtualneurocentre.com/diseases.asp?did=866

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: Will this eventually go away? Thank you for your help.

Yes, occipital headache due to compression on the nerve has an excellent prognosis and you should recover completely with treatment like nerve block, heat pad and painkillers.

But if you have arthritis of the spinal bones, then you will need treatment of the arthritis to cure the pain.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. Adding a bonus and a positive feedback will be warmly appreciated.