A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Does the Medicine Bactrim cause a delay in your period or ...

Does the Medicine Bactrim cause a delay in your period or cause you to miss the whole thing
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

Both having an infection, and taking medication for the infection can cause delays in your period. If you have been sexually active, you should take a pregnancy test two weeks after a missed period to make sure that isn't the problem. Here are some more reasons for late and missed periods.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have also been on birth control and sexually active. I did take a test and it showed negative. I am not having any symptoms of being pregnant. So is their a chance that i am or do I just need to what and see?

If it hasn't been two weeks since the missed period, you may have tested too early. Depending on when you ovulated during your cycle, it can take that long for enough of the pregnancy hormone to build up to a level that will trigger a positive result. Some of the tests claim they can detect a pregnancy when you are one day late, but there have been LOTS od problems, so do wait until two weeks after. You are probably just late from having an infection, stress, etc., but you wouldn't want to be pregnant and not know about it either, so I would give it enough time and test again.