Nurse Susan
Nurse Susan, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN, BSN, MSN-ED, Nurse Educator whose passion is helping people understand their health and wellness

i am 49 yrs female my hair is thinning out please help

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Susan replied 9 years ago.

Hi Marie,

Many women have thinning hair as they age, and it is caused by the same process that results in thinning hair for men...changing hormones. The treatment is much the same also. I suggest talking to your provider. There are treatments for this, including minoxidil that has been shown to restore and increase hair growth.

However there can be other causes of thinning hair in women that are more medical in origin. A thyroid imbalance (generally too much thyroid hormone) can cause thinning hair, as can a condition called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. Liver and kidney problems can also show themselves as thinning hair. IF you have NO other symptoms of ANYTHING else, it may be just age related.

Here is a weblink about thinning hair in women:

To rule out medical causes, I suggest a physician evaluation. He/she can also help you with options if it is age related hair loss.

I hope I was able to help you,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
ok i am going to ask my doctor to test for the condition you mention

I wish you the best in this.

Please do NOT press Accept for this post as you already paid.